Sunday, July 20, 2014

Yankees' CC Sabathia expects to pitch next year

2014-07-19 CC Sabathia

New York Yankees pitcher CC Sabathia met with the media Saturday morning, a day after general manager Brian Cashman announced the lefty would undergo season-ending arthroscopic knee surgery, but one that will allow him to avoid dreaded microfracture surgery.

Sabathia said he was disappointed to learn he would miss the remainder of the season. However, news that he would, for now, avoid the much more invasive microfracture procedure and the long-term uncertainty that comes with it was welcome.

"I was very concerned," he said. "I told my wife last night, my season's over, but it was the first time I was able to get some real sleep just kind of knowing I didn't have to have the microfracture and that I can return next year."

Dr. Neal ElAttrache will perform the surgery next Wednesday, but Sabathia confirmed that team physician Dr. Chris Ahmad and Texas Rangers team doctor Dr. Keith Meister both agreed with the form of treatment. He expects it will be approximately 6-8 weeks after the surgery before he can resume activity.

No comments:

Post a Comment