Saturday, October 26, 2013

Darrell Wallace Jr. makes NASCAR history with victory

10-26-2013 darrell wallace jr. victory lane

MARTINSVILLE, Va. – Becoming the second African-American driver to win a NASCAR national series race was a triumph of patience for Darrell Wallace Jr.

He hopes it's also worth the wait for a sport that has spent much of the past decade trying to diversify a traditionally lilywhite roster of drivers after claiming only one black winner in its first 65 years.

"I want to be a role model and inspiration to the younger kids and just change the sport as a whole and for the better, and winning helps everything," Wallace, 20, said. "I think that'll help kind of pave its own way there and hopefully get my name out there even more. That's what I've been trying to do is to get my name out there to keep pushing (and) striving for kids younger than me to get in the sport."
Nate Ryan, USA TODAY Sports

No comments:

Post a Comment